- Prepare time: 5 min
- Pressure Cook Time: 15 min
- Release Type: Natural
- Ready in: 15-30 min
- Pressure: High
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 onions finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or 1 chipotle chili, chopped, seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups broth or water
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2-inch dice
- 2 cups black beans soaked overnight or quick soaked and drained
- 3 cups tomatoes finely chopped fresh or canned, (1-28 ounce can)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
Heat the oil in the Instant Pot on Sauté. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the garlic, red peppers and spices and cook another 2 minutes. Turn off sauté. Add the water and stir to be sure that none of the spices are stuck on the bottom of the pot.
Add the sweet potato and black beans. Lock the lid in place and set your Instant Pot to cook on Manual at high pressure for 8 minutes. When 8 minutes is up let the pressure come down naturally, which takes about 10 minutes or longer.
When the pressure is down, remove the lid tilting it away from you.
Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and salt. Cook on low sauté about 5 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down into a sauce.
Remove the whole chipotle pepper if you used it. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve over rice, or other grain, garnished with cilantro. Enjoy!