- Prepare time: 10 mins
- Pressure Cook Time: 30 mins
- Ready in: 40 mins
- Pressure: High
- Release Type: Quick
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 2 bell peppers chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno chile seeds removed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 15-ounce cans cooked beans (pinto, kidney, or combination), drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted preferred)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn (thawed)
- 1/2 cup medium grain bulgur wheat
- additional seasonings to taste
- lime wedges, jalapeño peppers, and fresh salsa to serve
Start your pressure cooker heating as you chop your vegetables. (Instant Pot: Set on Sauté.) Chop the vegetables in the order listed and add them to the hot pot, stirring as you go. After you add the garlic, cook until the onions and peppers have begun to soften, about 5-6 minutes total.
Add the seasonings, beans, water, and tomatoes and stir well. Seal the lid and use the Manual mode to set time to 3 minutes at high pressure.
After 3 minutes at high pressure, release the steam manually. Open the pot and stir in the corn and bulgur wheat. Taste and add additional chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, or salt to taste. Simmer on low heat (Instant Pot on Sauté, low) until the bulgur is cooked and the chili has thickened, stirring often.
Serve in bowls with lime wedges to squeeze over chili and hot peppers and salsa to add at the table.