- Prepare time: 10 mins
- Pressure Cook Time: 35 mins
- Ready in: 45 mins
- Pressure: Natural
- Release Type: Quick
- 3 large ripe tomatoes or 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 inch cube of ginger
- 1 hot or mild green chile , I use serrano
- 3/4 cup water, use 1 cup if the tomatoes aren’t very juicy
- ½ to 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp paprika or kashmiri chili powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup soy curls (dry, not rehydrated)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Cashew cream made with with ¼ cup soaked cashews blended with ½ cup water
- 1/2 tsp or more garam masala
- 1/2 tsp or more sugar or sweetener
- 1 tsp kasoori methi – dried fenugreek leaves or add a 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 moderately hot green chile finely chopped, or use 2 tbsp finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp minced or finely chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup cilantro for garnish
Blend the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, chile with water until smooth.
Add pureed tomato mixture to the Instant pot or pressure cooker. Add soy curls, chickpeas, spices and salt. Close the lid and cook on Manual for 8 to 10 minutes. (6 minutes for stove top pressure cooker). Quick release after 10 minutes.
Start the IP on saute (medium heat for stove top pressure cooker). Add the cashew cream, garam masala, sweetener and fenugreek leaves and mix in. Bring to a boil, taste and adjust salt, heat, sweet. Add more cayenne and salt if needed. Fold in the chopped green chile, ginger and cilantro and press cancel(take off heat).
At this point you can add some vegan butter or oil for additional buttery flavor. Serve hot over rice or with flatbread or Naan.
To make this without nuts use 1/3 cup or more coconut cream instead of cashew cream.
Use all chickpeas, seitan, other meat subs, or veggies to make soyfree. When using subs that dont absorb much liquid, use larger quantity (for eg 2.5 to 3 cups shredded seitan to sub the soycurls+chickpeas).
Source: Instant Pot Vegan butter Chicken