Prepare time: 10 min Pressure Cook Time: 15min Ready in: 25 min
Pressure: High Release Type: Quick
A quick and very easy method to prepare the popular Turkish Split Pea Stew using Instant Pot. With this method, you will be able to achieve restaurant quality taste with less effort.
This gorgeous split pea stew (or a thick soup) is adapted from a classic Turkish lentil soup, also known as Mercimek Çorbası. It’s simple, rich and nutritious stew is full of warm, aromatic spices and flavours that will get you asking for seconds. Made with yellow split peas, this vegan and gluten-free friendly stew is ridiculously easy and quick when made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced into small cubes
- 1 celery stick, diced into cubes
- 4-5 cloves garlic, diced finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 cups split (rinsed well)
- ½ cup chopped tinned tomatoes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1.75 L vegetable stock ( I used 7 x 250 ml cups + 3 vegetable stock cubes)
- To serve: chopped chives or scallions, extra lemon and yogurt (optional)
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the olive oil, onion, carrot and celery and cook for 4 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Cancel the Sauté function by pressing Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual (High Pressure) and adjust to 10 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release for 4-5 minutes and then use the quick release method before opening the lid.
- Serve with chopped chives or scallions and extra lemon on the side. A dollop of full-fat natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt (or other vegan option) is gorgeous stirred in.