- Prepare time: 15 min
- Pressure Cook Time: 50 min
- Release Type: Natural
- Ready in: 135 min
- Pressure: High
- Chuck roast/ Blade roast – 2 inches (5 cm) thick (1 to 3 pounds)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 pinch of dried rosemary
- 1 pinch of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) red wine or balsamic vinegar to deglaze
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 – 4 potatoes, quartered
- 1 ½ tablespoon (12 g) cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
Prepare the Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click the adjust button to go to Sauté More function). Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be when you place the chuck roast into the pot (Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT). This will prevent excessive moisture loss.
Prepare the Chuck Roast: Pat dry with a paper towel. When the pressure cooker is hot, season the chuck roast with generous amount of kosher salt and ground black pepper.
Brown the Chuck Roast: Add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil into the pot. Ensure to coat the oil over the whole bottom of the pot. Add the seasoned chuck roast into the pot, then let it brown for exactly 10 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
Sauté the Onion and Garlic: Reduce the heat to medium (Instant pot: press cancel button, then press sauté button). Add in the sliced onions and stir. Add a pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper to season if you like. Cook the onions for roughly 1 minute until soften. Then, add garlic and stir for 30 seconds until fragrance. Add in the mushroom and season with another pinch of kosher salt if you like. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
Deglaze and Taste: Pour in a dash of red wine or balsamic vinegar and deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.Add 1 cup (250 ml) of chicken stock, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of fish sauce, 1 pinch of dried rosemary, 1 pinch of thyme, and 2 bay leaves into the pressure cooker. Taste the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
Pressure Cook the Chuck Roast: Place the chuck roast back with all its meat juice into the pot. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 45 minutes and natural Release for 25 minutes. Open the lid carefully.
- Pressure Cook the Vegetables: Remove the chuck roast and set aside. Cover the chuck roast with aluminum foil and let it rest while pressure cooking the vegetables. Submerge the quartered potatoes into the sauce and stack the chopped carrots on top of the potatoes. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 4 minutes (Electric or Stovetop). Cover the vent with a towel and do a Quick Release. Open the lid carefully.
- Make the Gravy: Taste the sauce one final time and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Mix 1 ½ tablespoon (12 g) of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons (30 ml)of water and mix it into the sauce one third at a time until desired thickness.
- Serve: Slice the meat against the grain. High five your family. Serve with the gravy, potatoes & carrots. Immediately enjoy this umami filled dish you have just created!