Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken takes just five minutes to throw into the pressure cooker and only 30 minutes to cook a flavorful, tender and juicy chicken!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into one inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar (use less if you want)
- 8-10 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 cup lite soy sauce*
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup carrots chopped*
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes*
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1Heat up your pressure cooker: press Sauté -> click on the Adjust button -> select More to get the Sauté More function, which means that the food will be sautéed over medium-high heat. Wait for the Instant Pot indicator to read HOT.
Add cubed chicken to a large ziplock bag, add the cornstarch and shake well to coat the chicken evenly in cornstarch.
Please NOTE: if you choose to saute your chicken coated in cornstarch you will have to remove it from the Instant Pot and deglaze the pot, as some readers experienced difficulty pressuring the pot if too much coating sticks to the aluminum pot bottom.
An option is to saute the chicken without the cornstarch and add the cornstarch as a slurry at the end.
3Add the oil to the hot Instant Pot, add the chicken and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times.
4Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot: minced garlic, minced ginger, lite soy sauce, brown sugar, water, carrots, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
5Stir well until all the ingredients are combined and coated in sauce.
6Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes + 10 minutes Natural Release. Turn off the heat. Release the remaining pressure. Open the lid.
Turn on the Sauce function.
If the chicken wasn’t coated in cornstarch, mix it now with 1/2 cup of water, until fully combined and add the slurry to the pot. Stir gently to combine. Cooke for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
Turn off your Instant Pot.
8Serve over rice and garnish with fresh chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
- Carrots are optional in this recipe.
- Red pepper flakes can be added less or more, depends on the level of heat you like in a dish. Also, they can be omitted from the recipe.
- Garlic powder was added for extra garlic flavor on top of the fresh garlic.
- Use gluten free soy sauce if you want to avoid gluten.