Make this General Tso’s Style Shredded Chicken Instant Pot Recipe. Tender & moist pressure cooker pulled chicken soaked in sweet and sour sauce with a tad spicy kick. Easy to make & addictive to eat!
- 8 – 10 (roughly 2 pounds) chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) peanut oil
- 10 dried Chinese red chili
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 stalks green onion, green part finely chopped for garnish, white part cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 1 (10g) slice ginger, roughly chopped
- Optional: 1 tablespoon (15ml) honey
General Tso’s Sauce:
- ¼ cup (63ml) dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Chinese black vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- 16-20 pieces lettuce
- Optional: Hoisin sauce
1Sauté Garlic and Ginger: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button). While the pressure cooker is heating, pour in 1 tbsp (15ml) peanut oil.
Add 10 dried Chinese red chili, minced garlic, white part of green onions, and chopped ginger into the pressure cooker, and allow them to slowly release their fragrance. Sauté for roughly 3 minutes.
2Pressure Cook the Drumsticks: Add sauce mixture and chicken drumsticks into the pressure cooker. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes + 12 minutes Natural Release. Release the remaining pressure and open the lid carefully.
3Shred Chicken Drumsticks: Place chicken drumsticks in a large mixing bowl. Remove chicken skin if desired. Shred chicken drumsticks with a fork. Remove the bones.
4Thicken the General Tso’s Sauce: Remove the Chinese red chili. Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button), and bring the sauce back to a boil. Taste the sauce and add in roughly 1 tbsp (15ml) of honey to sweeten the sauce if desired.
Mix 2 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water and stir the mixture into the sauce one third at a time until desired thickness.
Place the shredded chicken back into the sauce and mix well.
5Serve: Place pulled chicken onto lettuce. Garnish with finely chopped green onion. You may also serve this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Lettuce Wrap with Hoisin Sauce on the side.