Prepare time: 20 min Pressure Cook Time: 10 min Ready in: 35 min
Pressure: High Release Type: Natural
- 1 – 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can tomatoes crushed, 28 ounce can
- 2 cans red kidney beans drained & rinsed, 19 ounces
- 1 – 2 tablespoons chili powder depending on your spice preference
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed ground
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar optional
- brown sugar to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Umami Chicken Stock Mixture:
- 1 cup chicken stock low sodium
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Lime sour creme optional to garnish
- Jalapeno pepper optional to garnish, diced and seeded
- green onions optional to garnish
- Cheddar cheese optional to garnish
- Avocado optional to garnish
Press Sauté button and Adjust once to Sauté More function. Wait until indicator says “hot”.
Season ground beef generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil into the pot. Ensure to coat the oil over whole bottom of the pot.
Add ground beef into the pot. The ground beef will start to release moisture. At the 5-minute mark, remove the ground beef juice and reserve it in a small mixing bowl. Allow the ground beef to brown. Stir occasionally until they are slightly crisped and browned. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more kosher salt and ground black pepper.
While the ground beef is browning, mix 1 cup chicken stock, fish sauce, light soy sauce, tomato paste, unsweetened cocoa powder in a 2 cup measuring cup.
Add diced onions, minced garlic, ground cumin seed, chili powder, dried oregano. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the spices start to release their fragrance. Stir frequently.
Pour in 1/2 cup of the Umami Chicken Stock Mixture, fully deglaze the bottom of the pot by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon. Mix the brown bits with the stock mixture.
Add in the reserved beef juice (from Step 2). Pour in the remaining Umami Chicken Stock Mixture.
Add 2 cans of drained red kidney beans. Mix well. Pour in 1 can of crushed tomatoes with all the juice on top. Do not mix.
Close lid and pressure cook on Manual at High Pressure for 10 minutes, followed by Natural Release when time is up. Open the lid carefully.
If the chili is too runny, give it a quick stir and cook for another few minutes on the Sauté function. Taste and season with brown sugar, kosher salt and black pepper.
Optional: Add Apple cider vinegar. Note that the vinegar will significantly change the flavor profile.
Garnish chili with optional ingredients. Serve over your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!